Before you start, there are a few basics to cover including what you can test, and how much it will cost.
What can I test?
SoundingBox is built for agile teams who want to run lightweight, low-cost, frequent user tests of various flavors. There are three types of things you can test.
- Live websites (including competitors)
- Website prototypes built in any prototyping platform (Invision, Axure, etc.)
- App prototypes (prototypes of apps for iOS or Android built also using any prototyping platform)
What types of test can I run?
On your prototypes and sites you can run various types of tests, each of which we cover elsewhere in the docs.
Estimating your cost
Our pricing is very straightforward. You pay for two things.
- A monthly subscription that covers data storage and support
- A per-participant charge that is provided when you create your study
The per-participant charge is computed in the following way:
- A $5 base charge
- An additional $5 per screening question that you ask if you choose to screen
- An additional $5 if you choose to do a think-aloud study
- An additional $5 if you choose to get an even mix of participants
How long should your study be and how long will it take?
Sometimes teams try to put as much stuff as they can think of in a single study. Don't do it! Technically we allow up to 10 tasks in a study, but that doesn't mean you should take advantage of this. Most studies benefit from brevity and a constrained focus. The more narrowly you define your research goal, the more quickly your research will complete. You will answer your research question, and you can move on to the next project, usually in a matter of hours or days for larger studies.